Ikea table explodes leaving thousands of half-inch shards of glass embedded in wall of 12-year-old schoolboy’s bedroom
- Adam Hodges, 12, left the room just before his glass table exploded
- The Ikea table spontaneously shattered, leaving shards embedded in walls
- Nick Hodges said his son would have been injured had he been in the room
- Mr Hodges found thousands of shards up to half an inch long from table
- Ikea apologised and offered £100 compensation to family after incident
- Thermal shock may have caused explosion as table heated up over time
A 12-year-old boy had a lucky escape after a glass table close to his bed spontaneously exploded.
Adam Hodges had just left his bedroom in Basildon in Essex to go for breakfast when the table exploded, leaving thousands of sharp shards of glass embedded in the wall and door.
The table was near the boy’s bed and next to a radiator which may have caused it to spontaneously shatter through a reaction known as ‘thermal shock.’
Scroll down for video
Adam Hodges, 12, narrowly escaped being injured after a table in his bedroom spontaneously exploded, leaving thousands of shards of glass embedded in the walls and doors of his room in Basildon in Essex
Adam’s father Nick Hodges, 41, said the explosion sounded like a gunshot and his son would certainly have been injured had he been in the room on Sunday morning.
When he heard the loud bang Mr Hodges went up to the bedroom and saw thousands of pieces of glass, most of them sharp and measuring up to half an inch, embedded in the wall and door of the room.
‘All of a sudden there was a terrific bang – like a gunshot,’ said Mr Hodges.
‘We went up to have a look and there was glass everywhere.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2850401/Ikea-table-explodes-leaving-thousands-half-inch-shards-glass-embedded-wall-12-year-old-schoolboy-s-bedroom.html#ixzz3KoY9Tc00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook